Welcome to the Dallas Center - Grimes School Nurse Website.
Please feel free to contact us with questions or concerns.
Attention Parent of 6th graders
- Recent changes in the Iowa Administrative Code regarding immunization requirements for school entry mean that every child enrolling in the 7th grade must have a Tdap to attend school next August.
- Please provide a note from your physician indicating the vaccine and date it was administered to the school nurse to be compliant with this new requirement.
- The Tdap Vaccine is a combination vaccine that protects against not only against tetanus and diphtheria but also pertussis.
- Tetanus, also known as “lockjaw”, causes painful muscle spasms, usually all over the body including the tightening of the jaw so the person cannot open their mouth or swallow.
- Diphtheria can cause a thick covering in the back of the throat leading to breathing problems, paralysis or heart failure.
- Pertussis, also known as “whooping cough” causes severe coughing spells, vomiting, rib fractures and complications such as pneumonia.
*This will help Iowa achieve and maintain high vaccination adolescent coverage levels to reduce the number of pertussis cases.
The Dallas-Center Grimes School Nurses would like to give you suggestions to keep you healthy during the season of flu and communicable illness.
Personal responsibilities or suggestions would include:
- Stay home if you are ill with vomiting, diarrhea, a fever greater than 100
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly—before and after meals, after using the restroom, after coughing, sneezing, or nose blowing
- Wash with soap and warm running water—this is even more effective than antibacterial soap (see the attached Fact Sheet)
- Throw tissues in a waste basket as soon as practical
- Cover your cough with a tissue or if unavailable, direct your cough into your upper arm, rather than your hand
- Remember to eat nutritious meals and snacks
- Get adequate sleep—7-9 hours per night
- Exercise regularly
- Seek medical advise from your family physician
- Change your toothbrush after illness
- Don’t share food, drink or eating utensils
- Keep your immunizations up-to-date
Environmental suggestions would include:
- Keep phone receivers clean/sanitized
- Clean keyboards regularly
- Wash flat surfaces including tables and desktops
- Clean door handles
- Clean drinking fountains, dishes, utensils, etc.
- Discard unnecessary debris including old papers, etc.
Washing your hands with soap and warm running water is one of the BEST things you can do to stay healthy!
Kathy Fistler RN BSN
Dallas Center- Grimes High School and Meadows School
Highschool: Phone (515) 986-9747 or fax (515) 986-9734
Meadows: Phone (515) 986-0105 or fax (515) 986-3155
Mindi Morris RN BS
South Prairie Elementary
986-4057 Fax 986-4532
Cara Piepho BSN
Dallas Center- Grimes Middle School and Dallas Center- Grimes Elementary
DC Elementary: Phone (515) 992-3838 or fax (515) 992-3467
DC Middle School: Phone (515) 992-4343 or fax (515) 992-4076
Stephanie Rupp BSN
North Ridge Elementary
NR: Phone (515) 986-5674 or fax (515) 986-5376